FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Value Them Both Amendment is common sense protection for the women and unborn children in Kansas, but the abortion lobby tries to confuse the issue. Here are clear answers to your questions.
Why do we need to amend the Kansas constitution?
Kansans value both mothers and babies, but a Kansas Supreme Court case has created a nearly unlimited “right” to abortion in our state constitution and has endangered any regulations on the abortion industry. The Value Them Both amendment affirms that Kansas still want to be able to protect both mothers and babies by placing basic restriction on the abortion industry. The Value Them Both Amendment simply ensures that there can be at least some limits on the abortion industry and that you are not forced to subsidize the industry with your tax dollars. We do not want Kansas to become like New York or Colorado, where abortions are allowed up to the moment of birth.
What does the Value Them Both amendment do?
- Reverses the Kansas court case that created a nearly unlimited “right” to abortion Every reasonable regulation of abortion in KS may soon be struck down. Value Them Both safeguards laws that help women and babies.
- Value Them Both safeguards laws that help women and babies and takes steps to reign in the abortion industry.
What kind of protections are at stake?
- Parental notification: Pregnant teenage girls need advice from their loving moms and pediatricians, not traveling abortionists. Value Them Both guarantees parents, not strangers, guide their daughters.
- Clinic and Abortionists Licensing: The abortion industry fights all efforts to hold them to even the most basic health and safety standards and can’t be trusted. An abortionist in Kansas ran surgical instruments through a kitchen dishwasher and performed abortions in a carpeted office. No matter what choice a woman makes, she at the very least deserves to know the history of her doctor and that she will receive care from a trained medical professional, not a back alley, traveling abortionists. Value Them Both helps prevent such medical abuse of women.
- Restrictions on abortions in the second and third trimester: Abortions can and do happen late into pregnancies using more and more brutal methods. Value Them Both can open the door for laws to go into effect that ban things like live dismemberment abortions. We run the risk of Kansas allowing the use of tax dollars to perform abortion on healthy babies up to the moment of birth.
- Informed Consent: Every woman has the right to know who is going to perform surgery on her and the risks involved. Value Them Both respects informed consent.
What does the Amendment say?
“Because Kansans value both women and children, the constitution of the state of Kansas does not require government funding of abortion and does not create or secure a right to abortion. To the extent permitted by the constitution of the United States, the people, through their elected state representatives and state senators, may pass laws regarding abortion, including, but not limited to, laws that account for circumstances of pregnancy resulting from rape or incest or circumstances of necessity to save the life of the mother.”
How can I get involved?
- Contact your legislator and encourage them to support the Amendment.
- Contact your church and ask your pastor to talk to church members about it.
- Ask if you can pass out information about Value Them Both at your church or civic organization.
- Talk to your family and friends!
- Sign up to be a grassroots volunteer.
What about current laws around taxpayer funded abortion?
- Value Them Both would ensure that the state of Kansas cannot force you to pay for abortions through your tax dollars. The legislature passed a law in 2013 to protect your state dollars from paying for abortion. However, because of recent court rulings, this restriction could soon be struck down and you could be forced to pay for abortion with your tax dollars
- Value Them Both has no effect on federal funding. The Hyde Amendment currently protects federal Medicaid dollars from being used for abortion, but it does NOT affect state dollars. However, there are members of Congress, along with President-elect Biden who are calling for the overturn of the Hyde Amendment. If this happens, it will be even more important that we protect our state dollars with Value Them Both.
Does Value Them Both ban abortion?
It simply allows you through your elected officials to continue to place limits on the abortion industry, as we have done for the last five decades. It does not ban abortions.
What about hard cases like rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother?
- First of all, any act of violence against women, especially rape is a tragic and difficult situation. Value Them Both empowers women, especially those who have been victims, by giving them all the information regarding their pregnancy. This amendment does not change any current laws regarding abortion in Kansas — especially in cases regarding rape or other difficult circumstances.
- Value Them Both simply allows current laws to stand and protects the right of the people, through their elected officials to study, debate, and vote on abortion regulations, including those that involve horrible abuse of women.